Private Obedience Training in Minneapolis, MN
Private lessons are a great way to learn along with your dog and steadily improve your relationship. You gain confidence as you and your dog successfully master new skills and your efforts pay off as new behavior becomes a reality.
What Can Your Dog Learn?
Our obedience training lessons help address the specific problems you’re experiencing with your dog by:
- Implementing an effective system of communication between you and your dog, and helping you decipher what your dog is trying to tell you
- Giving your dog a reason to listen and respond to you
- Teaching your dog the basic expectations in life beyond obedience commands, things like not jumping up and respecting boundaries in the home
- Teaching your dog impulse control
- Giving you a way to hold your dog accountable once they understand the expectations
- Being customizable and flexible – no two lessons are the same because no two clients are the same – if you need to address something unexpected that came up during the week, that becomes the top priority of our session
What Commands are Most Commonly Taught?
Following are the commands we commonly focus on in training:
- Attention on command (“watch” or “look”)
- Go to/stay on a place mat on command (the “place” command)
- Walk beside you on a loose leash
- Heel at your side and sit automatically when stopping
- “Leave it” – used when encountering any distraction (like squirrels and other dogs)
- “Switch sides” – the dog passes behind to your other side upon request while walking – particularly useful when passing distractions like stroller or other dogs
- Recall, including off-leash and away from distractions
- Sit, down, and stay
- Off-leash boundary training
How it Works
There are two options for private lessons:
- Individual lessons are purchased one at a time – there is no long-term commitment or contract, just a clean and simple flat fee of $95 (cash or check) per 1-hour session. *
- 3- Month “Subscription” – this option provides you three months of ongoing support (up to three lessons per month) and additional email and phone support, for $595 for households with 1-2 dogs (cash, check, or credit card – credit card purchases are subject to a 2.75% transaction fee). Use as much or as little as you need, but enjoy peace of mind knowing that your trainer is an email away and you can schedule a lesson if you need it, just about anytime. *
Are Private Obedience Training Lessons Right for You?
We work with a wide range of behavior issues in private lessons – everything from basic manners and obedience to more serious issues involving anxiety and reactivity. Private lessons can be tailored to address whatever issues you’re experiencing but I’ll let you in on a secret: the specific behavior problem that you need to fix with your dog often gets cleared up as we proceed to instill communication, accountability, impulse control and increase your confidence.
The people that do best in private lessons are typically self-motivated, not afraid to make mistakes and are able to learn from them, are naturally physically coordinated, and are organized and able to prioritize working with their dog on a daily basis. They must feel comfortable handling their dog regardless of their dog’s behavior problems and have the patience and vision to see progress in increments (it’s often “two steps forward, one step back”).
Private dog training can also be good for families in which multiple people need to be included in the training, and in situations in which children are the primary handlers. We’ve worked with kids as young as nine teaching effective training and handling with e-collars!
What You Should Expect in Private Training
The trainer may travel to your home or you may meet up at a mutually-agreed upon location such as a public park.
The owner does the majority of the handling and training of their dog in private lessons and the majority of dog training work is done in the form of “homework” between lessons. Lessons may be scheduled weekly or bi-monthly depending on the owner’s availability.
The trainer continues to be available via phone and email during the intervening time between lessons to help trouble-shoot and answer questions in order to help you continue to progress.
The success of private dog training lessons is contingent upon the owner’s ability to follow instructions, engage with the trainer regarding obstacles they’re experiencing, and put in quality training time with their dog. Private lessons really are a team effort with the owner and trainer working together to create a productive and beneficial experience for the owner and dog.
Let’s Get Started
* Pricing is subject to change at any time. Final prices are determined at time of initial session/consultation and as always, additional charges apply for travel outside of the normal service area.